Accommodation in Devon: Bracken Tor House
Bracken Tor (YHA Okehampton Bracken Tor) sits on edge of Dartmoor in the woods above Okehampton, Devon. This venue offers two accommodation units sitting within 4 acres of landscaped garden providing a beautiful venue from for groups, families and individuals, and you can walk straight out onto Dartmoor.
Accommodation can be booked as individual beds, single rooms, family rooms and each building is available for exclusive hire, separately or together.
Reception: The main booking office for managing bookings at YHA Okehampton, a short distance away, but there is an on-site warden and small reception office at the site entrance for check-in for rooms at Bracken Tor.
This Centre is smoking free zone and all residential groups are expected to respect this ruling.
Bracken Tor House
Bracken Tor House was originally built in 1908, in the style of Arts and Crafts house with many of the original features.The main living room room has the original wood panelling and double aspect corner windows that provide the unique design of the house.In the living room, the fireplace has been restored back to the original brick, with a traditional wood burning stove offering cosy lounge accommodation for the winter periods.
There are seven bedrooms in total. On the ground floor there is one bedroom with disabled private toilet and shower room adjacent to the room.
Accommodates up to 34 people.
- 3 Bunk rooms with 4 to 8 beds with private bathroom on corridor
- 4 Bunk rooms with 4 to 8 beds with ensuite bathroom in room
- Lounge with wood-burning stove
- Small self-catering area off the lounge
Shared facilities with the Bracken Tor Lodge
- Commercial Catering Kitchen and Dining Area (accessed from outside Bracken House)
- Drying Room and Laundry facilities
- Car parking for up to 15 vehicles
- Two outside seating area with picnic benches (one for each building)
- landscaped gardens with flat grass games areas
- full size beach volleyball court
- campfire area
- Direct access onto the moors
Activity facilities on-site: see below
Bracken Tor Lodge
This unique building was converted with sustainability in mind as it has underfloor heating and double-glazed windows. Downstairs comprises of a lounge/dining room with a small self catering kitchen as well as a boot room and wc. Upstairs has the four bedrooms, that will allow groups of 18 to stay.
Outside, there are picnic benches, so that when the sun is out, you can sit and enjoy the woodland surroundings on the edge of Dartmoor. Just beyond the Filter House, you can walk on footpaths onto Dartmoor, and the Sustrans cycling track is a short distance down the main road.
- Accommodates up to 36 people in 8 bedrooms
- 2 Bunk rooms sleeping 4 to 8 people
- 2 Ensuite Rooms with Bunk beds sleeping 4 people
- 2 Ensuite Rooms with Bunk beds, one with a double bed as a base, sleeping 5 people
- 2 Single Bed rooms
- Self-catering Kitchen
- Washroom and toilets
- Multi-use Lounge and Dining Area.
Facilities on Site
Reception: Although the main booking office for managing bookings is at YHA Okehampton, a short distance away, there is an on-site warden and small reception office at the site for check-in for rooms at both Bracken Tor buildings.
- Car parking for up to 15 vehicles (shared for both buildings)
- Outside seating areas with picnic benches (separate areas for each building)
- landscaped gardens with flat grass games areas (shared for both buildings)
- Full size beach volleyball court (shared for both buildings)
- Campfire area
- MUST BE REQUESTED AT TIME OF BOOKING: pull-down projection screen & projection facilities.
- MUST BE REQUESTED AT TIME OF BOOKING: high chair facilities & travel cots
For groups booking both Bracken House and the Filter House, there is a linking path, making it easy to connect to the dining room at Bracken House; schools can then use the Filter House dining area as a classroom or training room.
There is a commercial Catering Kitchen and dining area at Bracken House, which has external access, and dependant on the type of bookings, offers catering for both residents of both buildings, but occasionally may be booked for private use by occupants of Bracken House.
Activity facilities (Bookable)
• High ropes course (bookable) shared for both buildings.
• Archery range (bookable) shared for both buildings.
• Mountain board course (Bookable) shared for both buildings.
• Bush craft area (bookable) shared for both buildings.