Courses and Skills
Had a fun session and want to develop your skills further in an activity, then take a specialised one day course with us. We have a range of courses, some of which provide qualifications and others which are based at extending your experience and skills, providing the necessary experience for taking your interest further.
Please click the link below for further details on our skills building courses
- Rock Climbing Days
- Paddle Days
- Kayaking Skills BCU 1 Star Courses
- Kayaking Skills BCU 2 Star Courses
- Navigation Skills Courses
- First Aid Courses
- Duke of Edinburgh Gold Residential Courses
If you are a group of adults, such as Stag and Hen or birthday parties looking for a different type of weekend away, we offer different Multi-activity breaks which can customised to your requirements.
Discovery Courses On Demand
Adventure Okehampton run a programme of weekend breaks throughout the year that are suitable for individuals, groups or families. However if there are six or more in your group you can choose your own dates. You do not need to be staying at the hostel to book a training course. You can also save money by using our camp site. To get a personalised quotation for any of our courses contact the Activity Centre manager with numbers/ages (if under 18), accommodation requirements and dates requested.
Subject to a minimum group size of 6 we can arrange for courses in the following areas:
- Landscape painting
- Geology of Dartmoor
- Prehistoric archaeology
- Identifying moorland plants
- Identifying common woodland invertebrates
- Identifying trees
- Walking Group Leader Training
- Or any of our courses on offer
Rock Climbing Course Days
Okehampton is ideally situated for climbing with plenty of Dartmoor crags on our doorstep. We offer a great variety of climbing to suit all abilities from total beginners to those wanting to learn how start climbing alone. Our local crags are within walking distance and on some courses we travel further afield to the large granite Tor climbing venues for which the moor is famous.
Family Rock Days run during the school holidays at the rate of £49.00 per adult and £40.00 per under 14. We will take you up to one of the Dartmoor Tors and start with WEASLING a session that will introduce you to the rocks and how to manoeuvre round them. We will then move onto one of our local crags where you will start off with basic BOULDERING. After lunch you will be learning all the skills of ROCK CLIMBING and will be at the top of the crag before you know it. An ideal Family Adventure, especially for older children wanting a more challenging session.
If you are booked onto a Family Adventure Holiday you can take part in the Family Rock Day as part of your package (equivalent to three taster sessions)
Rock Climbing Days offer an in-depth day of climbing out on Dartmoor for those who want to develop their skills further. We will visit a couple of more challenging rock climbing venues allowing you to learn basic rope work, belaying and gear selection with plenty of time to put theory into practice for a full climbing experience. These days can be booked for any date to suit small or large groups. Great activity for school groups or adventurous Stag, Hen & Birthday Parties.
- Loose trousers such as track suit bottoms etc
- Rock boots or trainers
- Waterproofs e.g. Jacket/Trousers; day rucksack
Instruction: All our courses are run by experienced instructors who hold Awards from the National Governing Body. All equipment is provided.
PLEASE NOTE that for safety reasons all our climbing courses are weather dependent. Should rain stop play then we will arrange another activity.
NNAS Navigation Courses
Discover the mysteries of magical Dartmoor as well as build confidence and develop your Navigation Skills.
No longer will you wonder what terms such as handrails had to do with walking on the mountains and why some people drop small stones when they are walking. With each participant engaging in the exercise, our basic navigation courses are suitable for all, with the aim to feel less “like a sheep” at the end, a comment from many of our past customers!
Our NNAS gold award courses are organised on demand, often from previous course attendees, who want to continue to develop their skills.
Organised course dates for next year: We run one course which will provide sufficient guidance to attain either Bronze or Silver level NNAS.
Weekend: 27th and 28th May 2017
Weekend: 12th and 13th August 2017
Other courses can be run at any time during the year - we require a minimum of six or more individuals to run the weekend - £86.00 per person (course only)
Accommodation is available at the Hostel or we can recommend local Bed and Breakfast for those who prefer other types of accommodation.
NNAS Bronze Award. The course meets the requirements of National Navigation Award Scheme's Bronze level. This will include 2 days on the Moor, 2 evening sessions of lectures and practical sessions, with a final assessment. Those under 18 may take the course, but the NNAS certification is only available to those over 18. Content includes:
- Understanding maps and their scales, different symbols and using grid references.
- Orientating the map to the ground and identifying features on map and ground.
- The ability to judge approximate distances on both map and ground.
- Understanding of the contour system, so that you can differentiate valleys and ridges.
- To plan a safe walk or course in wild country.
- Understand information symbols on maps, for facilities, rights of way
- Using a map and compass to find where you are, and where to walk.
NNAS Silver Award. The course meets the requirements of National Navigation Award Scheme's Silver level. This will include 2 days on the Moor, 2 evening sessions of lectures and practical sessions, with a final assessment. You will become familiar with basic map and compass skills. Those under 18 may take the course, but the NNAS certification is only available to those over 18. Content includes:
- Revision of understanding maps and their scales, understand information symbols on maps for facilities and rights of way, different symbols and using grid references, understanding of the contour system, so that you can differentiate valleys and ridges.
- Orientating the map to the ground and identifying features on map and ground.
- Use of different levels of navigation, macro to micro-level, depending on terrain and visibility.
- Use of 'attack points' to get to specific places on the map
- How to plan a safe walk or course in wild country with little visibility using 'aiming off'.
- How to estimate time and distance to be covered using Naismith's rule. How to adapt it to your group.
- Using a map and compass to find where you are, and to relocate your position.
- Walking on an accurate compass bearing to get to a specific point.
NNAS Gold Award. At present these are organised on demand. The training weekend will include 2 days on the Moor, 2 evening sessions of lectures and practical sessions, with a final assessment. The assessment weekend follows a similar pattern.
General Navigation Courses. We also offer 2-day breaks includes 2 walks of about 6 hours each, and 1 evening sessions of lectures and practical sessions. These are suitable for DoE training classes, Ten Tors training and social meetings for ramblers/social walking groups.
Weekend course includes:
- Instructor/Guide for weekend
- Outdoor clothing (Waterproofs e.g. Jacket/Trousers; gloves; hat; day rucksack)
- Full Hiking Boots (the ground is wet and boggy in places!)
- Personal belongings (washbag etc)
- Walking Sticks (if you use them)
- Packed Lunch for each day
Learn basic bushcraft skills on dartmoor. The course will include all tuition looking at different methods for fire-lighting, water collection and shelterbuilding and we'll give you our top tips to enjoy your time as well as some navigation training.
Great for a Lads and Dads bonding weekend, Scouts and Guides group, Stag Parties and all team-building type groups. Can be combined with the Wild Camp Course on Dartmoor where you build your own shelter as well as preparing and cooking your own evening meal on a camp fire.
These course operate at any time subject to a booking for a minimum of 6 people.
2014 Costs: From £99 per person (Non residential), £139 (Residential).
Adventure Okehampton is an AALA registered, BCU accredited centre in Devon, offering a range of training courses to interested people as well as their own staff. A small family-run company, we have been welcoming Schools, Families and Individuals for Adventure Activities for over 16 years. Situated on the edge of Dartmoor, the centre is ideally located for all areas of outdoor activities, and as it is placed by the A30 it is a convenient location to get to.
Contact: 01837 53916 (Press 1 for Bookings)
Canoe Day Trips in Devon
Try paddling the River Exe and Canal loop. This day is for people who are not interested in any awards, but want a great day out trying their paddling skills further. We take you there, teach you more about paddle strokes, launching and landing and then we head off for our adventure.
This full day runs during the school holidays at the rate of £49.00 per adult and £40.00 per under 14.
If you have a group of 6 or more adults we can book you in for any date to suit you. It's an ideal Family Adventure, especially for teenagers wanting a more challenging holiday as well as a great activity for an adventurous Stag or Hen Party.
If you are booked onto a Family Adventure Holiday you can take part in the Paddle Day as part of your package (equivalent to three taster sessions)
• Transportation from YHA Okehampton
• Instructor for course from our BCU acreditted centre
• Use of the Canoe or Kayak equipment and safety equipment.
Turn this into a weekend expedition by camping at the Turf Locks campsite. Prices available for this options.
You will need:
- Suitable clothing (Clothes to wear under life jacket, day rucksack)
- Wet Boots (or old trainers)
- packed lunch in carry-bag